intel i7 3770K Video Editing Computer Build for 2013
I have made a couple of videos pursuing my goal of 20 videos this year. The processing/editing of the videos and even the photos is becoming PITA with every passing day. The editing of the videos that I have made is still pending. The reason; I am seriously limited by my existing computer configuration. It is a 6 year old AMD Athlon 64 bit processor based computer. The existing system is just enough to handle Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premier Pro. Considering my workflow and the time I spend editing a photo/video I decided it is high time to get my computer upgraded (read, get replaced).
Existing Photo/Video Editing Computer
My current configuration is as follows:
- Processor: AMD Athlon Dual Core 64 bit processor
- Motherboard: Asus M2N MX Motherboard
- RAM: 1GB DDR2 Ram
- Internal Hard Drive: Seagate 120 GB 5400 rpm (IDE)
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 1Gb DDR2 Graphics card
- Cabinet: iBall ATX cabinet with a local power supply unit.
- DVD R/W: LG
- 3x500GB Backup USB Drive
As you can see that in the technology world this is an ancient system which is just about enough for doing the job. Also this computer was a general purpose computer and I have upgraded (Graphics card and RAM over time). However, going forward I need a strong computing machine. I researched a quite a few configuration based on my budget. I want a system which is within my budget and last me for a long period say for the next 5-6 years.
intel i7 3770K Video Editing Computer
My budget was about Rs. 60-70k. Here is what I have finalised and purchased.
- Processor: Intel i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz Quadcore processor (unlocked)
- Motherboard: MSI Z77A GD 65
- RAM: 16 GB (8GBx2) 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence
- O/S Drive: Samsung 840 120Gb (SATA 3.0)
- Internal Harddrive: 1 TB WD Caviar Black Edition, 7200 rpm, 64 Mb Cache
- Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 1Gb DDR2 Graphics card (from the previous build)
- Cabinet: Corsair 500r (Black Edition) Mid Tower Cabinet
- Power Supply Unit: Cooler Master GX 650W
- CPU Cooler: Cooler Master EVO 212 (Planning to get a custom liquid cooler in the next 6 months)
- DVD R/W: Sony
- I plan to over clock the processor to around 4.6 Ghz, ofcourse after installing the custom water cooling.
- Custom Water Cooling
- Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card (as and when I get the money).
- 5x 1 TB of Harddrive with a Raid array
- Blu-Ray R/W
I am a Windows person and I’ll be using Windows 7 as the OS. Adobe CS6, Premier Pro and Lightroom 4 for my editing needs.
This was a brief update about my new video editing computer build. As you can see after this build I’ll be able to churn out more videos and process more images to put it on my website..just kidding…But it’ll make my workflow a lot more easier and faster.
I’ll be putting some of the images of the components and final build as soon I finish building it. The images will also go in my product portfolio.