Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Review
Considered as the best value for money lens in the Canon lens lineup, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is a gem of a lens. This post is more of a suggestion than a review. It is so because you’ll find tons of reviews across the internet just Google it. If you are in doubt whether you want to buy it then I strongly suggest buy it. It is about Rupees 6000 (US$ 120) as on today.
Why to buy a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
- Well the most suitable reason is simple, this lens WILL find a place in your camera bag.
- Extremely good low light performer. I have managed to get shutter speed in the range of 1/20 handheld to get decent images.
- It is very sharp. From f/2.2 onwards it is sharp (soft wide open at f/1.8) . On my copy of the lens the f/5.6 is the sweet spot where I found it, as the sharpest.
- It is extremely light weight and is never a weight burden. Believe me weight starts to bother you as you progress in your photography.
- It is better than the kit lens provided you purchased a crop sensor body with 18-55 (With a 5D Mark ii/iii you ll get 24-104 f/4 L USM as the kit).
- Autofocus is relatively fast and accurate.
- It serves as a good portrait lens on a crop body and render a normal focal length on a full frame body.
I guess these are enough reasons for you to buy it. If you want some negatives about it (well even the most expensive lens has some negatives)
The negatives/cons of the EF 50mm f/1.8
- It has a very cheap build quality and the lens probably never last a life time (Yes lenses are for life!)
- It has a blatant chromatic aberration. And possibly you don’t want to shoot an Indian wedding with this lens.
- The mount is plastic which will fall apart after regular use. And that is why you won’t find this lens in a professional’s bag.
- Focus ring is very thin and it is not a full time manual focus ring. You have to use the switch to switch from AF to MF.
- No IS.. Well you won’t need it on this lens.
Believe me you won’t regret the purchase of this lens. (Disclaimer! Canon is not paying me to sell this lens)